Saturday, September 29, 2012

Texas

The Texas panhandle gives very little to write home about. I am driven crazy by the flat flat flat land here. Its so flat you can see a farmhouse miles away and an hour later its still miles away. Okay, so this is a little bit of an exaggeration but that's the way it feels to me. It is still grey green prairie though sections of it have lots of that nice gold prairie grass. Same old stuff I've been looking at for days.

Antelope grazing on the perpetual grey-green prairie


Then there's the Cadillac Ranch. Talk about graffitti heaven! These caddies are nose deep in mud and the whole area around it is littered with spray paint cans and multi-colored can tops. I've heard a few stories about how they got there and none are the same so I won't relate any of them. All I know is that the caddies change constantly. The last time I saw them they had all been painted black in honor of somebody or other. As far as I'm concerned, it wasn't much of an honor since black is so dull. Color is so much more exciting.





Everyone is making such a big deal about Highway 66 these days. It was once the main route from Chicago to where (?), maybe Los Angeles (I should really pay more attention) before there were interstate highways. There is much art deco influenced architecture left over from those days. My favorite building is in Shamrock but it was too dark for photos. I did run across this amazing rest area along I 40. It was huge, brand new, but filled with old ad signs from the heyday era. In the women's restroom there was a big mosaic tile wall mural. I was tempted to slip into the men's room to see if they got a different one but I didn't dare.



No comments:

Post a Comment