Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Exploring Kansas

I keep hearing people talk about how boring it is to drive through Kansas. Not so. Eastern Kansas is beautiful, hilly but not quite mountainous, wooded, but still lots of pastureland. I don't think I've seen so many shades of green in one area. This morning, the sky was heavily clouded in several angry shades of grey.

Then on to central Kansas, rolling farmland with the focus no longer wheat but looking to ethanol. This is a study of many shades of gold. This is post rock country. Yes, post rock. Around the turn of the last century, someone discovered that the rock strata in Kansas was easily cut and quarrying that rock became big business. There are many old buildings still around that are built from that rock...and there are still fence posts, whole rows of them. There are indeed trees in Kansas, Dorothy, but apparently not enough.


East Kansas is flat and gold-ish but I am so tired of flat and gold. Eastern Colorado is even worse. There is is tinted grey-green with rabbit brush and even that is sparce. It goes on and on. I can't wait to get to Denver.



1 comment:

  1. We will have to agree to disagree, I think Kansas is extremely boring to drive through. You can find adventure out of everything.

    I am worried about your lack of knowledge concerning deep fried pickles. I love them!!

    I can't wait to hear about Colorado and beyond.

    ReplyDelete