Friday, September 21, 2012

Bishop's Castle

Bishop's Castle is one man's dream located close to Colorado City and Rye. This castle is constructed of local stone that has not come without conflict because much came from Forest Service land...or so the story goes. The man who built it has not forgotten those days and has several board-displays covered with rants about how the government tried to stop him. If I was inclined to take sides I'd likely join up with him. He is still building, always improving in his own way, and his castle has become quite a tourist attraction, though a quirky one.

The castle is constructed mostly of stone and iron. There are a couple towers, one purported to be 100' tall. Inside the towers are narrow winding staircases with open windows one couuld fall through and, at the top, iron walkways between the two towers. I got brave and climbed the taller tower, elevating my heartbeat all the way to my throat where it got good and stuck. I made it to the walkway very near the top. I could hear the really brave folks in the cage atop the other tower talking about how it shakes. Nobody stayed there very long. A good dozen years ago I came here and actually did the whole thing, walkways and all, with a seven year old boy. I'm older, wiser and much less brave now.




Proof that I made it to the top.



No comments:

Post a Comment