Friday, March 1, 2013

Senor de la Conquista Festival

I wish I could figure out exactly what this festival is about. I got a few explanations from my hostelmates who aren't really sure themselves. I was told it is held in honor of one of their saints who helped free them from the clutch of the Spaniards or maybe it has to do with Semante, the advent of Easter. I am totally confused and am certain much of that confusion is created by language barriers. What I do know is that it is Catholic and has deep roots in the indigenous culture.

There has been dancing in the Plaza Jardin accompanied by drummers all day long. Most of the drummers are are young men pounding drums made of steel oil barrels, or the like, with skins stretched over them. The costumes are fantastic and varied. The common denominator are the quetzal-feather headdresses. Even some very small children dress up and take part. Animal symbolism is big and costumes are adorned with skulls, furs and talons. It is all very colorful and energetic. There is something being burned that is more aromatic than sage. This evening the image of Christ was carried at the head of a procession and that image has brown skin rather than blond hair and blue eyes. This is Mexico, after all.





...and the temptations of Eve???


2 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Nice Pictures!!! Impressive. The costumes are great!!! I am definitely going to check it out through the website you sent me. Looks like you are having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this link http://www.167water.com/uploads/Travels_Mexico_11_-_El_Se_or_de_la_Conquista_Festival.pdf providing more information but nothing fantastic. It looks like you had a good time. I am sure your camera was well used during that festival.

    ReplyDelete