Monday, March 11, 2013

An Afternoon In Mexico City

After submitting myself to some really cheap Mexican dentistry, I hopped a bus to Mexico City and stayed one night before flying home. My hostel was located behind a really big, two-stage cathedral with a huge square in front of it. I say two stage because one portion of the cathedral was obviously older and a little tilted. I was once told that Mexico City was built on a lake because the Aztec leader was informed by some ethereal higher up that they were to build their city and settle on the spot that they found an eagle with a snake in its beak. They found it in a lake and settled, gardening on woven mats and on and on, eventually filling the lake in. Not a very firm foundation, yet these buildings are hundreds of years old.

An event was being held in the square called Festiva Patria, a bit of nationalism on display. There were large white tents obscuring the view, stands full of people watching and cheering for something I couldn't see.  A military helicopter, tank and other similar vehicles were on display. Small children were going up a climbing wall and sailing down a length of zip line with the aid of uniformed soldiers. Lorries were parked all up and down side streets and soldiers were everywhere, as were the police. I understand the president made a public appearance the day before and there was a huge counter demonstration. No riots though.


I walked through the historic district and was awed by some of the architecture there. There was a lot of ironwork, tile in floral patterns, and what seemed to me like the influence of an art deco-arts and crafts era mix.

In closing, I would like to say that I felt perfectly safe in Mexico at all times. I did not witness any drug related murders, robberies, nor was I harrassed in any shape form or fashion. The people I encountered were always friendly and helpful.


Notice the rough outside edges of the cape,,,

...it's made of keys, thousands of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment