Sunday, March 3, 2013

Guanajuato, Mexico

The bus trip from San Miguel to Guanajuato was another trip through somewhat mountainous land, but this time even drier. Villages tend to be far apart and small, not to mention fairly poor. But anything seems poor after San Miguels de Allende with its huge affluent retirement community. We passed through agricultural land with a huge hacienda, green fields and irrigation equipment, though outdated by our standards. Then there was mile after mile of flat land having ghosts of furrows but now in dry grass and cactus.

Guanajuato is the place I should have come to in the beginning. Somewhere I read that this is the most Mexican of all towns. I believe it because I haven't found anyone who can understand or speak English and I have to admit its a challenge. This is an old silver mining town built on several hills. It seems the more I climb its narrow winding streets, the more I still have to go. If there's a top, I can't find it, but there sure is a view and I found it over and over. This city is a university town, bustling, colorful and friendly. There is grandeur in its cathedrals as in every Mexican City and there are a lot of statues and sculptures. I took a bus to the Museo de las Momias and actually found my way back on foot, first to the main market and back to the hostel. Then I went out to get lost again. What fun!




First two boys hammed it up for the camera. Then the whole pizza line joined in.

Basilica de Nuestra Senora de Guanajuato

Inside the Basillica.


Teatro Juarez

2 comments:

  1. What's up with the upper left hand corner of the almost Gaudi-looking church? Is it incomplete or is there damage to it? It looks like there are some very cool buildings and squares. How is the food?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure about the church. I'll do a whole blog on food. Manana.

    ReplyDelete