Monday, June 11, 2012

Sighisoara, Romania




Sighisoara (pronounced Sigushwora) is the town where Vlad Tepes, aka Vlad the Impaler, spent his early childhood before his father handed him to the Turks. But that's another story. There is a very nice castle with guild towers. The craft guilds were each required to build, maintain, and man these towers so vital to the defense of every castle. A couple are still standing, the watchmaker's tower being the most elaborate. There is a clock on this tower with little statues that rotate. When the clock strikes midnight, one of those figures comes forward. Being a sound sleeper, I missed that event. I did go up in the tower which has a pretty interesting museum in it. The old village is within the castle walls and many are painted in pastel colors. This town has more colorful houses than most.




After exploring the castle, we had pizza and I ordered one with corn, chicken, artichokes and little red pepper slices. Of course, I had no idea what I was ordering. That's part of the adventure of being here. Once I ordered a pepper and cheese roll thinking I would get bread with pepper and cheese on it. They brought me a beautiful plate with two red peppers stuffed with farmer's cheese, rolled in seasoned crumbs and baked.Yummmm!  Eating  out is so inexpensive here we can eat like kings every day, every meal. We are tipping like kings, too.

When our train to Cluj came, there was a whole  Rom family, if not a whole village, moving their household onto a passenger car. One carried on a rolled and tied mattress, another the slats, someone took the headboard, not to mention other furniture items. I wondered where they put it all but never found out as it wasn't my assigned carriage.


Clock on the Watchmaker's Tower

















No comments:

Post a Comment