Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Home At Last

And home I am, just long enough to start packing for the next adventure.

In summing up my trip, especially Romania, I have to start by admitting that I expected to see caravans of Gypsies in swirling, brightly colored skirts, dancing around campfires while the men played lively Gypsy music. Talk about racial profiling! I really got it all wrong yet was not disappointed in what I did find.

The lot of the Gypsies, better known as Roms or Roma, is not so pretty. Sure, some of the men play some pretty wonderful, lively music but many of the woman and children resort to begging to earn a living. That's not to say all those panhandling in Romania and Bulgaria are Roms. The women do tend to wear skirts and headscarves but it is not as colorful as I'd imagined.

Most of the people in these countries live just as we do. Their obvious customs are not much different from ours here in the states. many of the younger generation speak a little English and are more than glad to help. After all the warnings about theft and pickpockets, especially in Romania, I am a little disappointed not to have had anyone attempt such a feat. So much for expectation. For the most part, these people are honest...and the fact that their stray animal population is so well cared for attests to the fact that they are kind, too..

Would I live in Eastern Europe? You bet. I'd love to hang my hat in Romania, preferably Suceava or Brasov.

My next adventure begins in early July when a friend and I fly to Istanbul. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment