Saturday, November 15, 2014

Peru: A Few Observations

More than anywhere else I've been, Peru wears to past and present cultures up front for all to see. They blend well. I would like to present some of my observations.

A Spanish-style church seems to be the central figure and monument in so many towns though there are exceptions. The huge, ornate cathedrals of the big cities are included in prior posts so I present here some of the village churches we stopped to see. So many of them are incredibly ornate on the inside which bothers me when I look at the modest lifestyle of the people who live nearby.








In Ollantaytambo I noticed that several buildings around the square had little bulls on the peaks of their roofs. Mostly there were two bulls, some decorated with what appeared to be weeds but could have been wheat or quinoa. Some of them had their very own beer bottle.  Some were just the bottle with no bull. I was informed that these were to protect the house. Later I was told about the old custom of pouring the local brew on the ground before planting, even before meals, an old, old custom of honoring a god that was the earth.




I loved the colorful costumes of Peru's indigenous peoples. In the cities people dress as they do in cities all over the world but in small towns tradition is worn proudly. The shawls and skirts  vary a little from region to region. The hats were what caught my interest. My favorite is the one that looks like an ornate bowl with an embroidered strap around the chin. This hat is a work of art by itself but some went a step further by filling them with flowers, especially when they want to attract photographers with a little cash.





Right away I noticed so many walls we passed were painted with a name or logo. Bridges were painted; rocks were painted; printouts were pasted in some pretty strange places. Parades of trucks and motorcycles loaded with flag-waving revelers drove around squares and remote stretches of road, tooting their horns, a noisy yet almost musical event.  So I asked and was told of an upcoming election. The candidates gave out little boxes of matches with their names which is a service to so many who still cook with wood. But paint must surely be a candidate's biggest expense.Voting took place on a Sunday and every Peruvian between the ages of 18 and 65 is required to vote, but for those over 65 it is optional. Failure to vote results in a fine the size of which is determined by the economics of the area.






No comments:

Post a Comment