Monday, April 7, 2014

Queretero, Mexico

I've been to Queretaro several times making bus connections but never spent time there until the last day of my Mexico vacation. Coming into this rather large city is really not exciting. The outskirts are covered with subdivisions of nothing but blocky white houses. How dull...until the sun set, a fiery red ball, and bathed the scene in a beautiful orange glow. How I wish I had my camera then! Since Queretaro is closer to the Mexico City airport than San Miguel, I decided to take a look on my way home.

Blue Bicycle Hostel is located in the old part of town on a section of street so unusual even the cab drivers get lost. On one side of the street the numbers ran even: #14, #16; on the other side was #79, etc. Very confusing. So I assured the driver I'd be fine, hopped out and walked. I found it on the other side of the aqueduct, just past the town's oldest mission and across the street from a hole in the old wall left over from some past enemy assault. In the morning, the next taxi didn't find it either. I had to find him.

The old mission near the hostel.

View from the hostel's rooftop patio.

The aqueduct is a long, multi-arched structure that splits the city and is so imposing even the Romans might be impressed. It comes with a story, a love story that goes something like this: a rich and influential man fell madly in love with a nun who lived in the convent. Wanting desperately to win her affection, he asked her to tell him what would make her happy and he would deliver it. Her reply was that she would be happy if her convent had water. So he built a huge aqueduct. The story ended there. I asked if she left to marry him and the answer was no. Since there was no mention of suicide I suppose he got over it.


I was told that Queretaro was a very important city back when the Spaniards ruled and Texas was part of Mexico. There is a very nice old town, the usual churches and a few busy plazas. I peeked into a few churches but was unimpressed until I found the Templo de Santa Clara. The walls were covered with brass ornamentation. I sat for a moment but took only a couple discreet photos so as not to disturb a few worshipers.






No comments:

Post a Comment